ConEd Energy Savings Ideas
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Media Relations
August 17, 2009 212-460-4111
TIPS TO BEAT THE HEAT
Con Edison Offers Energy-Saving Ideas
And Tips on Staying Cool
NEW YORK – With temperatures rising and muggy weather expected over the next two days, Con Edison is providing several tips for customers to stay cool and save money.
- In times of extreme heat, it’s always wise to close shades, blinds and curtains to keep out the sun; about 40 percent of unwanted heat comes right through the windows.
- Set your air conditioner to no cooler than 78 degrees. Setting your air conditioner to lower than that can increase your costs by up to 40 percent.
- Make sure air conditioner filters are clean for peak efficiency.
- Try using fans instead of air conditioners, but be sure to leave your windows open for ventilation. Fans use as little as one-tenth the energy as air conditioners.
- Run appliances such as ovens, washing machines, dryers, and dishwashers in the early morning or late at night when it’s generally cooler. Another alternative: use a microwave to cook, or a barbecue outside, if possible.
- Unplug your cell phone, BlackBerry and iPod chargers when you are not using them. They may use electricity even when they are not charging.
- Turn off your monitor when you leave your computer for more than 20 minutes. Screen savers use electricity.
Con Edison is making it easy to find these and many other tips by visiting the company’s Web site at www.conEd.com/thepowerofgreen, becoming a fan of Power of Green on Facebook, or following the company on Twitter @ConEdLiz or @ConEdSara.
The company also launched a series of energy-efficiency videos starring Con Edison employees, posted at www.conEd.com and www.youtube.com/ConEdisonNY. Each video features an employee talking directly to customers about strategies for conserving energy, saving money, and helping the environment.
Customers can report power interruptions or service problems online at www.conEd.com, or by calling Con Edison’s toll-free customer service number 1-800-75-CON ED (1-800-752-6633). To check on power outages in the Con Edison service area, visit our outage maps at http://www.coned.com/sm/outageinfo.asp.