Village of Croton-on-Hudson E-Notice
October 26, 2012
As we await the arrival of Hurricane Sandy, now is the time to make sure that our households are prepared for any emergency situations that might result from the storm: loss of utilities, flooding and so on.~
The Village Police, DPW, FD and EMS are prepared and have crews on stand-by in case of emergencies. If you experience loss of electrical power, please contact ConEd directly by calling 800-752-6633. The community room in the Municipal Building will be available to residents beginning Monday morning at 7am if residents lose power and need to power cell phones and lap tops.
BEFORE THE STORM:
- Bring inside all loose objects from your yard, porch or terrace, including yard furniture;
- Secure~ your doors and windows;
- Stay tuned to local news sources for word on the storm’s timing and severity, and possible evacuation orders;
- Check on relatives, friends and neighbors with disabilities or special needs;
- Make sure you have on hand plenty of bottled water (1 gallon per person, per day), nonperishable food and plenty of batteries for all of your flashlights and portable radios;
- Make sure valuables are secured in waterproof containers;
- Pack a “Go Bag” and bedding in case you need to evacuate;
- Keep friends and family notified of your whereabouts if you choose to leave your home;
- Make sure you have supplies for your pets, infants and chronically ill family members.~
A “GO BAG” SHOULD INCLUDE:
- Copies of your important documents in a waterproof and portable container (insurance cards, photo ID’s, proof of address, etc.)
- Extra set of car and house keys
- Copies of credit/ATM cards and $50-$100 cash in small denominations
- Bottled water and nonperishable food such as energy or granola bars
- Battery operated AM/FM radio and extra batteries
- Up-to-date medication information and other essential personal items.~ Keep a list of the medications each member of your household takes, why they take them, and their dosages. Also, include all doctors’ names and phone numbers
- First aid kit
- Contact and meeting place information for your household and a small regional map
- Child care supplies
Please only call 911 for emergencies. An alternative contact number is United Way's 211 HelpLine.~
ConEd power outage or gas and electrical service problems: (800) 752-6633
County Parkways: Call the county police at (914) 864-7700 for the latest county parkway conditions~You may want to check on major highway conditions across the county by visiting www.511ny.org. This site provides reports on roads across the county as well as state-wide. It details closures, incidents and other helpful traffic and transit conditions.
Thruway: (800)-THRUWAY for updated NY state thruway information
Local road conditions: Call the Croton-on-Hudson Police 271-5177.~
Bee-Line Buses: (914) 813-7777 for bus service status or (914) 995-7272 and press 2 at the prompt, for paratransit status~
Metro-North Railroad: 212-532-4900~
Other Non-Emergency: Call the Croton on Hudson Police non-emergency number 271-5177.
Other Utilities: Please check your billing statement for telephone number.