Mayor’s Corner March 8, 2012
Open government in Croton
As your smallest level of government, our Village has limited resources. But as the government closest to the people, our Village needs to communicate with you about an astonishingly broad array of services–from tax grievances to parking permits and wedding ceremonies to dog licenses. I hope the information below helps you get the information you need from the Village.
If you have a question about something, the first step would be to call our main office, 914-271-4781, during Village business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:30 am to 4 pm). During non-business hours, you may leave a voice message there.
If sending a message via the web is easier for you, click the “Contact Us” button on our home page anytime. Your question or comment will be forwarded to the best person for a response.
The meetings of all the Village’s boards and committees are open to the public and are announced in our online Calendar, among other places. To view the calendar of all Village events, click the “Events Calendar” button.
For information about past meetings, use the “SEARCH” bar on the home page to locate topics you want to look up. You may also search in http://crotononhudson.novusagenda.com/. In addition, Board of Trustee meetings from June 2006 to the present may be viewed as webcasts. To view webcasts of the current year click “On-Demand Webcasts” button on the Village home page. To view webcasts of prior years click on the “Meeting Minutes and Web Casts” link on the Board of Trustees web page.
If you want to get notices by phone or email from the Village about important developments, click on the "Subscribe to News" button at our home page. At this page you can sign up for email notification on various topics and also
sign up for the Village’s Emergency Call and Email Notification System. Enter your preferred contact information. We use the notification service sparingly and only for official information or for updates about important events, such as power outages, road closures, and the like.
In addition, you can reach me, the mayor, via the “Contact” link on the Mayor’s Corner page. You will find contact information for the entire Board of Trustees by clicking the “Boards and Committees” button on the home page and then selecting “Board of Trustees.” Each Village Department head–from Assessor to Water–may be contacted via the “Departments” button on our home page.
The following is a partial list of the current information the Village makes available on a continual basis.
- We publish notification of Board of Trustee meetings months in advance when setting the schedule at the annual organizational meeting.
- We create and publish the Board of Trustees Agenda for each Regular Meeting and Work Session prior to the meeting. This information is available at http://crotononhudson.novusagenda.com/ and circulated via email to all subscribers to our Meeting Agenda list.
- We publish draft minutes of Regular Meetings before the official adoption by the Board of Trustees.
- We publish and archive Minutes of Board of Trustee Regular Meetings on the Village web site for meetings dating back to June 1997.
- We publish all documents related to meeting agenda items prior to the meeting and simultaneously with publication of the agenda (excluding items subject to executive session or matters of personnel).
- We incorporate two segments for citizen participation–on agenda and non-agenda items–into our Board of Trustee Regular Meetings.
- We include incoming Correspondence in our Meeting agendas to pass on the public information that is relevant from other levels of government, citizens, local non-profits, or upcoming events.
- We both televise via Cablevision and web cast via our website all the Regular Meetings of the Board of Trustees.
- We index the webcasts of Regular Meetings to the agenda for each meeting, making it easy to jump to a particular agenda topic in the video.
- We publish and archive audio files of Work Sessions of Board of Trustee Meetings dating back to September 2011.
- We publish semi-monthly agendas and meetings of the Planning Board. We circulate the agendas to all subscribers to our Meeting Agendas email list.
- We publish monthly agendas and meetings of the Zoning Board of Appeals. We circulate the agendas to all subscribers to our Meeting Agendas email list.
- We publish the agenda and minutes of Waterfront Advisory Committee, whenever it is called to meet. We circulate the agendas to all subscribers to our Meeting Agendas email list.
- We publish minutes of the Advisory Board on the Visual Environment, whenever it is called to meet.
- We publish agendas and minutes of the Water Control Commission, whenever it is called to meet. We circulate the agendas to all subscribers to our Meeting Agendas email list.
- We publish additional documents as produced by other Village volunteer boards and committees, such as events sponsored by the Croton Conservation Advisory Council, the Sustainability Committee, the Trails Committee, or the Bicycle-Pedestrian Committee, among others.
The following is a partial list of the documents archived for you to access on demand via the Village’s website:
# # #